The church was preceded by at least two former chapels. The first is dated from 1623 and the latter was built in 1657. The church is similar in style to the church in Nötö. The church got its clock tower in 1763.
Västanfjärd’s chapel congregation separated in 1904 into its own parish with its own vicar, as it had already been a chapel since the 1600s and had its own pastor since 1779. The chaplain had his official residence in the village of Sirnas from 1637 to 1695, he served all the congregation’s churches.